Saturday, June 27, 2020

Ex Concessis


Evenings have been beautiful lately, so I’ve been riding my bike at dusk when the temperature is dropping quickly and there aren’t many people out and about. Earlier this week I coasted onto my street to find my neighbors, a married couple, out walking.

I see them often, walking down to our community mailboxes every day to get their mail, chatting amiably with each other, always holding hands. She had hip replacement surgery a while back, and he told me at the time how hard it was for him to be separated from her while she was hospitalized. They were cordial to me three years ago when I moved in, showing me their home (same model as mine) and welcoming me.

When I saw them the other night, they were just heading out, and I was returning home. I was masked. They were not. I stopped about ten feet from them and said hello.

“Kay? Is that you? We don’t recognize people with their masks on.”

“Yep, it’s Kay. How are you two tonight?”

We chatted about the gorgeous sunset, the weather, then the virus. They said they’d be going on vacation in July, flying to Minnesota to visit family.

“We ordered face shields off the internet,” he said. “I hope Southwest lets us wear them.”

I commented that the face shields would be a great extra precaution, but He explained that they wanted to wear them instead of masks. Because masks are “uncomfortable,” and they didn’t want to wear them for the entire six-hour flight.

“So we’re hoping Southwest will allow it,” he went on. “I talked to my son about it today, and he said, Well, if they insist on you wearing the masks, just tell them ‘I can’t breathe.’”

He laughed.

She laughed.

“I’ll let you two get on with your walk,” I said. I pulled my bike up onto the porch and slipped quietly into the house.

This is what I want to stop doing.

Because, make no mistake, my dear white friends, when we are faced with racial discrimination on any level and we choose to say nothing, we are complicit.

When we say nothing, we are complicit.

Many of my white friends are earnestly, sincerely, genuinely wanting to “do things differently,” wanting to “be an ally,” and I am deeply grateful for that. If that’s you, then okay, here’s the deal:

Let’s agree to stop being complicit.

As the privileged majority in this country, this is what we know: That white folks will say things to other white folks with this assumption: ‘We all agree on this, right?’

No. No, we certainly do not.

Look, I’m not trying to say my sweet neighbors are racists. I am saying that, at the very least, his remark—which mocks a dying man’s last words—was racially insensitive, and my point is, I should have said something. Not to be confrontational or combative or an angry ass about it, but just to gently make them aware that making a joke out of a man’s tragic death says something about them and that something is not flattering.

In my younger years, I was angry and abrasive all the time, and I had zero tolerance for racist chatter. Back then, I thought nothing of getting in someone’s face and expressing exactly what I thought. But I’ve softened in my older years as I try harder to be a kinder, gentler version of my early self. And that has caused me to silence myself in situations such as the one described above.

I don’t want to do that anymore. My friends, we can’t do that anymore. Giving others a free pass to mock or demean persons of color makes us complicit in their racism. Those who do so have been emboldened by our silence—because we didn’t want to make a conversation tense or awkward or uncomfortable.

Let’s not allow those folks to be comfortable anymore. We do not all have to carry signs and march in protest (although if you’ve never done it, I highly recommend it, as it is an excellent curative for the soul, to say nothing of its power to spark a fire). Our voices have power. The more we speak up and speak out, the more uncomfortable certain folks will become. Maybe it won’t change them, but it will certainly put them on notice that such talk will be tolerated no longer.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennette, for taking the time to comment, for your kind words. To be honest, I have felt pretty beaten up lately, and it has felt like my voice is being drowned out by darker, negative ones. But your words encourage me, so I'm gonna keep yammering here. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for putting into words what I've been thinking. I was the opposite of what you described. In my younger years,I was quiet and avoided confrontation, even if I was seathing inside. Now, my NY attitude comes out regularly and I'm pressed to find a happy medium��. But I'm encouraged by those who are speaking out and speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duffy, the irony for me is that it was actually my boys who 'trained' me to hush up--because when they were teens, I was such a mama bear I was constantly jumping in and confronting people who said things to them or about them (because they are bi-racial). They made me temper myself so that I didn't embarrass them. But they're out living their best lives now, so I need to step back into that mama bear role. I love your NY attitude. Never forget: Even "nice" people need to feel the same level of discomfort we feel when they say inappropriate things.

      Delete
  3. I wish I were quick on my feet with responses. I will think on that suggestion to memorize a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to overcome my frozen brain in instances like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, that is exactly the problem, isn't it? We are gobsmacked, gut punched, and our brains are still trying to process what we heard instead of responding articulately. As writers, we tend to process our thoughts on paper (or through our fingers on the keyboard), and it is difficult to be so in the moment that we can formulate a gentle but powerful response. As Judy suggests above, rehearsing a few phrases to keep in our pockets may help.

      Delete
    2. Rehearsing is a great idea. Honestly, I'm a dope in the moment, but decent at writing about it later. Loved your recent post re the book. I had a cat once that would chew anything.

      Delete
  5. Like you, Kay, I am guilty not not saying something in situations like the one you describe. Maybe what might be appropriate when I hear a comment like that is to furrow my brow (I can do that, I raised teenagers) and say, "Wow, for a second there I thought that was a racist comment, but I realize now that it is racially insensitive. You should work on that." Next time it happens to me I'll take a deep breath and try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, some of the comments from Facebook have been helpful in terms of what might have been said.
      "I'm sorry, I can't laugh at that."
      "That doesn't make me laugh, it makes me sad."
      "I'm not sure you're aware of how hurtful it is to make fun of what is happening in our country."
      I'm still trying to process this. I think it would be different in each unique situation.

      Delete
  6. My mom has worked at the YMCA for years. She once passed one of the ladies in her water exercise class. The lady said, quote "you know, these people (assuming minorities) are lazy. There are jobs out there for them but they just don't want to work." My mom said, quote,"you know, (name), if you were a different color, you might go somewhere and someone would say something horrible to you." Mom got the best on that one. The lady walked away and didn't say another word. Speaking out is what we can do. I speak angrily all the time. Especially nowadays. I haven't conquered the anger I feel yet. I might. But mom was honest with that woman and said her piece without anger or regret. I admire that, and you, for this post. Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Scott, thank you, and I love you so much, too. Your mom is amazing, a strong woman indeed.

      Delete