Thursday, October 10, 2019

Grief


This is just a brief addendum to my previous post. It is the grateful acknowledgement of another pain I have not had to endure.

You will have to look closely at the photo above to see that those blue balloons are attached to party hats. I took this picture in the cemetery next door. That particular section is reserved for babies and toddlers who have passed over.

On a gloomy, rainy day, I drove into the cemetery to take Sgt. Thomas Tibbs for a walk, but the balloons grabbed my attention, and I pulled over long enough to snap the shot. Then I got out and went to investigate.

Beneath each balloon was a festive party hat, and beneath each hat was a small, sealed envelope, protected from the rain in a clear plastic bag. All the baby graves had a similar envelope, save the grave up front, the one that is frequently decorated with toys. The same one that was piled high with fresh snow one day last winter. (No, it doesn't snow here. At least, not at this elevation. But we're an hour's drive from the mountains. Someone had gone up and brought down enough snow to make a mound three feet tall and nearly as wide.)

The envelopes were addressed to the parents of the deceased: "To the parents of Isaiah" ... "To the parents of Sarah Lynn" ....

I couldn't help it. My curiosity got the best of me. I slipped open one of the ziplock bags, hoping to see what was inside the envelope. But they were all sealed.

You are left to your imagination, as I was.

But the parent 'hosting' the party for departed young souls was clearly reaching out--in grief, in kindness, in empathy--to all the other parents who were experiencing the same loss.

Weird? Amazing? Compassionate? Loving? Yes.

Thank you, Universe, that in this life, I have never shared that experience. All of my children, all of my grandchildren, are well and healthy.

May it be so until I draw my last breath... and join the others for the party.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Last Saturday, a party was held in that section. Someone brought out a trailer, canopies, and chairs. There was music and laughing among the twenty or so people. And after they left, balloons and hats were surrounding this area. I thought perhaps it was one party for a large family section. How special to celebrate these youngsters and their parents! By the way, this is Lori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That is just the most amazing thing! How great is that? I believe so strongly in honoring the dead, in keeping their names and memories alive after they have passed, and this would be a great way to do it. There should never be "last respects" paid; that honor and respect should continue as family members and friends continue to celebrate someone's life after they are gone. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete