Monday, June 28, 2010

Best Big-Eared Woman I Know



Last week my son drove me in his fancy car to Arizona, where I had the opportunity to talk about Tainted Legacy to a group of writers in Prescott, sell a few books, and, on our second day, visit with my good friend, Willma Gore, in Sedona. Willma (yes, two l’s) has been my mentor in writing for about a decade. She is 89, and still the most prolific writer I know. In fact, she’s just finished writing a memoir (finally) and has already found a publisher, so I suspect the book will be out by her 90th birthday. It was Willma who arranged the gig for me with the Professional Writers of Prescott group. The members were gracious and responsive to my talk—no doubt because Willma had insisted to them that I was a good speaker and they’d darn well better appreciate me. She’s like that, and it always reminds me of my mom. Both were women who did not have the circumstances of life unfurl gracefully before them, but rather had to fight with life in order to wrest some satisfaction from it. I see Willma now, still writing, still publishing, still teaching workshops and doing book tours, and I know that there is hope for a long life of creativity for me as well. While we were in Sedona, Willma told us she had recently met a man who said to her, ‘You have big ears. That means you will live a long time.’ May it be so, my friend, may it be so.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you had time with your son and your friend and mentor.....not to mention being able to speak about and promote your book. Life is grand when we do the things we love and especially being arough love ones...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh goody goody,, It sound like you had a good time. I liked that. uhh,, when ya gonna have another book out.. lol... Thanx for the post,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernie, Glenn, you are my best buds, and I hug you both. ~K

    ReplyDelete