Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Celebrating Sgt. Thomas Tibbs

 


My sweet boy died on Friday. I started crying Thursday, midday, during my phone call to schedule an appointment with Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice, and didn't stop fully until.... Well, that hasn't happened yet, but at least I'm having long moments without tears. Not right now, though. Right now I'm crying.

Of course I've known for months this day was coming; his health issues were worsening, his arthritis pain becoming more and more difficult to manage. He wasn't comfortable... but he was still enjoying treats and cuddles, so he lived with discomfort, and I lived with anticipatory grief... a lot of anticipatory grief....

So I'm trying to let that go, now, and just celebrate his life. My god, the boy started out (at intake with Upland shelter) looking like this:

He was six years old, covered with mange, and starving. The shelter had him from June to January, treating his medical issues and trying to get him to engage with humans. Then I brought him home. At first, he was frightened of everything, even the cats. Except his bunny. He loved his bunny.

In the first couple of years, he spent a lot of time curled in a ball--much like Maya did when I brought her home. His recovery was very gradual.

I walked him every day, sang to him every night, and showered him with love. Finally, after five months, he wagged his tail at me. Two years in, he finally let me give him a belly rub. After I retired in 2016, he began to love other things--riding in my truck, going for hikes... and Purrl.




And of course, in recent years, Lamb Chop.


To me, he was a miracle. Ten years ago, he hated being touched, had no idea how to play with toys, and there was absolutely no joy in his life. While he never did learn how to play with toys, he did love chasing treats, and he gradually came to accept then welcome pets and ear scratches and back rubs. Oh, how he loved back rubs. And, up until his last days, his big tail wagged every day.

What a gift he was! My hiking buddy, my emotional support dog, my daily validation that love is indeed powerful. In fact, I learned more about true, unconditional love from Thomas than I have words for here. 

Thom's story is amazing, so of course I'm going to write a book about him. I started taking notes for that project last year. I will begin writing the book in early spring. I hope it honors him--and all those folks it took to get him out of the horrific situation he was in and safely into a shelter where kind volunteers never gave up on him. Bravo to them. And bravo to Thomas for overcoming so many fears. Good boy, Thom.




17 comments:

  1. It takes a truly great person to bring around a damaged dog. Surely, he found one of the best. 🩡🩡🩡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry, Kay. Our pups bless our lives and leave huge holes in our hearts when they leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, I have that special memory of Thomas of the day you came to meet him. I thought if anyone can help him it would be an angel. The fear on the end of his leash was so real. I held onto his leash and prayed that you were his angel. You gave him a beautiful life! I can’t believe he is no longer with you. I am sad, but also happy he had you and is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, as you know, I credit you and the other amazing souls at the shelter for saving his life. I can't thank you enough for that. Thomas would've too, if he could talk. He loved his life (once he wasn't constantly terrified any more). My best boy....

      Delete
  4. Sgt Thomas reporting for duty at the Rainbow 🌈 Bridge. Sigh. There are no words, he was one of a kind. Healing hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, he was definitely one of a kind! The house has been too quiet without his morning antics. What a sweet doggo soul!

      Delete
  5. I am so very sorry for your loss Kay. Thank you for sharing his journey with us. He was such a beautiful boy. πŸ’™πŸŒˆπŸΎπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. They mean more than I can say.

      Delete
  6. Oh no. I am so very sorry. I think I’ve followed the two of you from the beginning. I keep wanting to say he was a an amazing human being. But that’s you. Sending love and sincere condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, at some point I did begin to think of him as more human than dog. He was like me in so many ways.... Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Kay, my cousin. Though I never met him Thomas touched my soul for some reason. I loved the pictures, the stories, and the love you showed to all of your fur babies. I do know the pain of losing a dog/angel. I think he is with my Sadie, whole, happy and watching over us. You are an amazing woman Kay. I’m so proud that you are family. Thanks for writing such a beautiful tribute. I look forward to the book.πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet cousin. I picture him with all of my dogs and all the extended family dogs, finally able to play again. I know we'll be reunited someday, and that thought is extremely comforting!

      Delete
  8. Great tribute to Thomas πŸ’œπŸŒˆπŸΎ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I could only express a fraction of what I've been feeling. What a blessing he was! More to come in his book.

      Delete
  9. I’m just now reading about Thomas. I’m so sorry my friend. Thomas was special for sure. He was so lucky to have someone like you to love him unconditionally. I’m happy you had so many years together, and that you both learned from each other what love really means. I’m thankful that you have Maya and Jenny to help you get through this sadness. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, thank you. He was a very special boy indeed, and I am so grateful that I made the decision to bring him home. He blessed my life for a decade. I'll miss him every day.

      Delete