Tuesday, January 18, 2022

After After Life

 

This blog post is about a television show, but it is also about suicide, so if you’re triggered in any way by that content, please feel free to click away; you have my blessing and my wish for a stellar day.

Also: If you believe suicide is “the coward’s way out,” or that it is “a long-term solution to a short-term problem,” or that when a person has the extraordinary courage to admit they may be suicidal, they’re just a “drama queen” or “crying out for attention,” you can click away as well. Just bugger off. You’ll get the day you deserve.

Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but these are all things that have been said to me over the years, quite insensitively, I might add. And here’s a few more gems:

From my ex-husband: “It’s part of your life’s script to be sad, so you’re always going to be sad, no matter what.” (What in fecking hell does that even mean?)

From a colleague: “We all feel despair. Life is mostly hard and depressing, with only the rare, occasional bright spot of joy. That’s what we live for. So that someday—maybe—we might feel joy again.” (Just shoot me now, then.)

From a friend: “All that depression stuff is just brain chemistry. These days, fixing it is just a matter of finding the right medication.” (Well then! So good to know!)

If you’re new to the blog, and you’ve never read my memoir, The Dogs Who Saved Me, let me just say briefly that several times in my life, I have been clinically depressed. Twice I have been suicidal, the first time when I was fifteen. That time, I hardly ate or slept, and all I thought about was how to kill myself—without failing, because I was terrified of being shoved off to a psych ward—and if you don’t know me, just trust me; I had reason enough to despair. But time moved me forward (and out of certain situations), and I got better.

I kept a journal during those dark times. I still have it. And it seems as though Ricky Gervais has been reading it. Because he says that he is “fine” and “happy,” so how else could he fully understand what the absolute edge of despair is? And then offer a depiction as vivid as he does with the series he has written and directed, After Life? It’s brilliant. It’s absolutely brilliant. One hundred percent spot on with its dialog about the aching, empty loneliness that brings some of us to the brink and asking “What’s the point?” Or, more precisely and in his words, “What’s the fucking point?”

If you haven’t seen it, don’t get the wrong idea. It’s funny. Like, laugh out loud funny. But also cringeworthy in some scenes. (Season 3, Episode 4, “Kath” goes on a date with a teacher, and I swear to Buddha, I dated that guy. He snaps his fingers to get the server’s attention, tells Kath repeatedly to take her elbows off the table, and makes her feel, in his overbearing, condescending, demanding way, stupid and about two inches tall. I could barely watch it, it hit so close to home for me.) The show is also more than a bit raunchy, yet so heartbreakingly sweet in some scenes that my tears just flow and flow, and I wonder if it’s because I feel a touch of the old sadness or because of my relief at the realization that I’m still here, that I stayed long enough to see my life become good and rewarding and worth all the pain. Or both.

The premise of the show is that “Tony” (the main character, played by Gervais) has lost his wife, Lisa, to cancer, and he is so angry and heartbroken and alone without her that he moves through life inflicting his grief upon everyone around him but simultaneously trying to find a way out of his personal hell. Every time I watch it, I want to go along on one of his long walks with his dog (a gorgeous German Shepherd—and may the Universe bless Gervais for all his work in animal rescue), and I want to tell him, “Hang on, Tony. You’ll find a tiny ray of hope, and it will get brighter as the days go by, and life will look beautiful again. Just trust me.” And as each episode ends, I think, “Thank goodness it’s just a show, and he is “fine” and “happy” in real life (whatever that is).

The truth is, not everyone is fine and happy. I am. Now. But I haven’t always been. So I know what that road to recovery feels like. How heavy each step feels as you trudge forward at an agonizingly slow pace, pressed down by the enormous weight of all the pain you carry. I’m here to tell you, it will get easier. Not tomorrow or the day after. Not this week. It will get easier so gradually that you won’t feel the difference as the weight is lifted. You’ll just be halfway through your day one day and realize you haven’t thought of taking yourself out today. Or you actually smiled at someone. Or you made actual plans to do something you enjoy.

If you are feeling that way, please never hesitate to reach out or get help (from a professional, not some asshole acquaintance or colleague or significant other who just doesn’t get it).

I see you.

I acknowledge your cry for help as absolutely legitimate.

You deserve the same happiness as everyone else on the planet.

I love you.

National Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255

This is a link to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 


2 comments:

  1. I hear you. I hear you in every way on this. I have been down that road. It is dark. It is scary. It is horrible. I used to think suicide was a selfish act.... I have come to realize that if you feel that badly, it is a sad outcome that is NOT selfish.
    I had a friend whose girlfriend killed herself. Then he killed himself on the same day a year later. The quote "get yourself up and dust yourself off" mentality has ALWAYS pissed me off. There are a lot of people who think that. Depression and other disorders are often viewed as weakness. They are not. Period. Everyone is influenced by genetics, their experiences and brain chemistry. No one gets through life unscathed. Getting help if you need it is extremely important. I was hospitalized after an intentional overdose. When mom and dad took me to the hospital to get help before the attempt, the doctor said straight up "you need help, Scott." I was not willing to get it and unfortunately, if someone does not want help, the healthcare workers can't make them. My overdose was a wake-up call. A call that I SHOULD have accepted help. It taught me to accept that I need help at times and that asking for it is okay. It's okay to not be okay.
    I need to look up this show.
    Thank you for this, and for your candidness on this topic.
    I love you very much. <3 :)
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Scott, this is such a courageous, articulate and personal response that it brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for your validation, and for being strong enough to share your own experience in the hope that it would help someone else. You are an amazing person, and I couldn't agree more; it's okay not to be okay. We all wish we were perfectly happy, but you know what? We have to deal with the cards we were dealt. Happiness is out there for us--in its imperfect way. I love you very much!!

      Delete