Saturday, September 26, 2020

Letting go

 

Fortino is mowing my lawn. For the past four years that I have lived in this house, I’ve watched Fortino every Friday mow the lawn of Jackie, the neighbor who lives behind me. He and his crew are quick and efficient, mowing, trimming, and cleaning up. Sometimes Jackie asks him to put in new flowers or take out old plants. He nods and complies. If I am out in the back yard, I wave, and he waves back. When he comes around to this side of the block to mow Gus’s lawn next door, I see him again or one of his crew, and we wave. Once, when I was about to sweep up after mowing my front lawn, one of his crew stepped over with the leaf blower and offered to do it. Took twenty seconds. All done.

I’m not mowing the lawn today. I’m writing. Someone else is pushing the mower, swinging the trimmer, and cleaning up the mess.

I started mowing my own lawn in 1980, when I was married and we lived in Chino and my then-husband was too busy pastoring a church to do it. 

When we divorced, I took the mower and edger.

With the exception of the six blissful years I lived in a cabin in the wilderness, and a few years when I somehow hooked up with another husband who was often too busy to help with chores but would, on occasion, do yard work, I mowed my own lawns. For forty years.

My lawns here are small and, if I hustle, I can knock out the mowing, trimming, and clean up in under an hour. But that hustle has begun to evaporate as time has started to take its toll on my body. Sometimes, when my sciatic nerve is screaming at me, thinking about mowing the lawn can nearly reduce me to tears.

Some weeks ago, I had a conversation about this with my cousin Kathleen, who is my age. She’d had a conversation with her doctor, who’d told her, “Kathleen, listen to me, you can’t be doing that anymore.” By “that,” he meant sliding her major appliances out to clean behind them. Did I mention that she’s my age? Look, I saw my mom do a lot of chores when I was a kid, including stripping and waxing the kitchen floor on her hands and knees. I never witnessed her moving the stove out to clean behind it. And now I can’t unhear that, so for the rest of my life, I’m going to feel like my house hasn’t been thoroughly cleaned. Unless I do “that,” and I’ll be honest, I’m not about to, so if you happen to come for a visit, please overlook it.

Kathleen told me this: "We can’t keep doing the same things we’ve always done in our lives." Ironically, a week after my conversation with her, I found myself working on a short piece of writing for a story call-out about “elder care,” describing how difficult it was convincing my mother to give up driving. Of course, she was 86, not 66, but still. It brought to mind Mom’s fierce independence, how she kept insisting that she could get herself and her walker into the car and out again without my help. But she really couldn’t, not without risking injury. And I heard Kathleen’s truth ringing in my ears. “We can’t keep doing the same things we’ve always done.”

I can’t mow my lawns anymore. Not without risking injury. Last week, when Fortino mowed Jackie’s lawn, she told him I wanted him to start mowing mine. He came by after he finished Gus’s yard, and we stood on the porch and talked.

“I see you,” he said. “You work hard.”

“I see you,” I said. “You work very hard.”

He shrugged. “It’s my job. You need to take care of yourself.”

So I am. I’m doing all the exercises my physical therapist gave me, taking the walks my doctor told me to take (even though I was already walking at least 30 minutes a day when she said that, but okay), and right now, Fortino is mowing my lawn, and I’m doing this. It’s my job.



No comments:

Post a Comment